Pages

Another framed monogram

Sunday, July 11, 2010


For my little sister's wedding gift I made this framed monogram.
I just finished it yesterday and I can't wait to send it all the way to California to her and her new husband!


Isn't it gorgeous! I almost like it better than my "M" one. 
My sister loves black and red together. When she was still living at home her bedroom was decked out in anything black and red. Mom even made her a super nice black and red quilt!

I ran to the thrift store last week {yep, it's just a few streets away from where we're staying!} and I found this frame for $1. I should have taken a photo of it before I painted it, but it was a reddish looking wood. It's the kind of frame that has another piece of glass as the backing,so you could put a smaller picture in the frame and see through the rest of the area. It being that kind, it doesn't have a stand to stand on it's own. Oh well, they'll just have to mount it on the wall or lean it up against something. I sanded the frame with 220 grit sandpaper and then painted it with black acrylic paint, then finished it with a clear varathane finisher. {I used those sponge brushes to paint everything because they make paints go on so much nicer}. For the background paper I didn't have any scrapbook paper on hand so I actually found some images of scrapbook paper patterns online and saved them in word document, stretching them to fit the whole page and then printed this one out. You cant even really tell it's not scrapbook paper. For the B I printed a huge b in the font I liked, cut it out and painted it with acrylic paint! Go ahead, you can laugh at me. But it works!! 

I thought about not posting this project until she got this, but I'm too excited about it so I just had to post! .. I hope she doesn't see this! I don't think she pays much attention to my blog, but watch, this will be the one time she comes to check it out and there goes my secret! 

I had some fun doing a photo shoot with this! What a model, huh??? 










happy creativties!

8 comments:

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

super job! I love how frugal you were!
Just wanted to let you know I'm featuring your blog tomorrow on Featured Followers Friday.
gail

kati said...

Oh super cute... I found you from crystals craft spot... I love this idea.

Crystal said...

This is so beautiful! I LOVE black and red (I would make everything those colors if I could). Also great idea to use a scrapbook paper image, I never would of thought of that.
-Crystal
p.s. thanks for linking up!

Kathy said...

That is absolutely wonderful! So creative and so thrifty!

Erika said...

Lovely! I think I'm going to have to run out and make several of these for friends! Thanks for the great idea!

seven thirty three said...

That little poochy on the floor looks like my Mushu! :)

Love the monogram. Great pictures.

From the Old InkWell said...

You are very creative. I can't believe you printed your own scrapbook paper. Great job!

Sailing with bare feet said...

hey thats mine !!!!! Hanging by our door ! We love it !
Who's dog is that in the last picture hah!