Pages

Crochet Ruffle Scarf

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wow, It's like I've been avoiding blogging like the plague! ... Not really, I just haven't had anything great to blog about. I do have a bunch of projects I'm in the middle of, but it could be ages before those are done because, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before, I tend to procrastinate things. I'll try to work on that.. cause I have some things I really want to share!.. before I get gray hairs. 

This week I was feeling in the mood to make a scarf. I haven't done one in a great long while, so I bought some pretty yarn. I love this color. It's called Pale Antique Rose. Isn't that a pretty name too? I was planning on just making one of my normal scalloped scarves, but I decided to try and make ruffles instead. I didn't follow any pattern for making ruffles, I basically just figured it out on my own.. 

Ta- da!



I like it and can't wait to wear it! .. Well, I CAN wait, .. cause really I'm not looking forward to winter gracing us with its presence again. I'm rather sad about the summer ending, but now that fall has started showing itself, I don't mind it getting a little teensy weensy bit cool. I love fall. It makes me all romantic-y and dreamy and I want to go buy pumpkins and put them everywhere in our apartment and burn yummy smelling candles all day long--(big breath for air!) 

back to the ruffly scarf I made...


Lovely, right? :)


I thought I'd share the tiny little instructions on how I did the ruffles in case anyone's wondering.

So first things first, I made the foundation row 210 chain stitches long. 
Then I did 3 rows of double crochets.
For the ruffles on the first side (which is the opposite side of the foundation chain stitches) I did 3 double crochets in EACH stitch all the way across.
(no skipping spaces at all).

Like this.. 
(the gray ovals represent the stitches you are stitching into)
 
For the other side of the scarf I did things a little different. I alternated between 3 double crochets in one stitch, and 2 double crochets in the next and continuing in that pattern. 

Like this..
I did it this way because I was finding that the foundation stitches seemed to be a bit scrunched and closer than on the other side of the scarf.. When I was doing 3 double crochets in each stitch everything was tighter and the ruffles were smaller than the other side. So by doing it this way, to me it seemed to even them out more to look like the other side.

And yes, the ends will look a little strange too. So what I did for the ends was just add double crochets right along the ends to make them rounded. Not sure how to explain this part, but I just put double crochets anywhere on the ends to get it across and connect to the other side's end with a slip stitch.

Here's a photo of the finished ends which might help with understanding..


They aren't perfect, but they look SO much better then if I hadn't finished them this way.

So that's my ruffle scarf! 

I'd love to make a few for my shop too, so we'll see that how that goes!



If you make your own ruffle scarf I'd love to see it!
Feel free to leave your a link to your own ruffle scarf blog post in a comment
if you make one!!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Very pretty! I love it!

Amanda @ The Little Giggler said...

Super cute! I love the color!

Stephanie said...

The scarf is really cute, I need one. I will be giving this a try.

Sailing with bare feet said...

I love love love this !!!

Christina said...

CUTE scarf!!
You're so talented!