Pages

Crock Pot Apple Crisp

Thursday, October 6, 2011

I. Love. Fall. 

.. I know, I've said it before.. many times, but I just really do love it! When the days start turning into fall I get this feeling in me.. The smells of fall, .. in the outdoors, in the kitchen, candles.. The chilliness, coziness, pulling out some light scarves, comfy sweaters... Yes, I'm getting to my point of this post, I'm just building it up! 

Fall makes me want to bake things! Lately I'm wanting to bake all sorts of yummy sweets. I haven't jumped at every urge to bake something though, thank goodness! But I was recently inspired by one of the blogs I follow {A Law Student's Journey} to make apple crisp in the crock pot! Mmmmm. So I tried it! And boy was it gooooood. I looked online for some recipes, and I kind of followed a few different recipes. 

How to make Apple Crisp in your crock pot

I peeled and sliced about 8 to 10 apples (6 cups sliced apples). 
Mine were actually small apples, so you may want less apples if yours are larger. I just bought a bag of apples. 


After peeling and slicing, I threw the apples into the crock pot. 
Then in a small mixing bowl I added these ingredients: 

1/3 cup white sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch 
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Mixed that up then dumped it into the pot with apples and stirred it up. 
Then I added 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice and stirred that up.


{The smells were already getting to me!} 

Next for the topping.. 

Mixed these ingredients in a bowl: 

1/2 cup of flour
2/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar 
1/2 cup white sugar 
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch of salt

 {one of the recipes I was following didn't include oats, so I added oats from another recipe, and cut out half the flour. Not sure if cutting the flour is necessary.. but that's what I did}

Then I cut 1/2 cup of butter into little pieces, added that to the flour, sugar and spice mixture and squished it all up with my hands into a crumbly mixture- great fun :)


Mmmmm I love crumble toppings! 
The topping mixture just goes right on top of the apples. Y.U.M.


On goes the lid, temperature set to LOW. Leave it for about 3 hours then take the lid off for about an hour so the crust topping can .. do what it's supposed to.


I couldn't wait to find out how this would turn out! I've never made an apple crisp  in my life! I've actually never done these kinds of baked goods before. Apple pies, apple crisps, other fruit pies.. 

Here's a look at it all done and ready to be eaten up


And it was definitely eaten up! We had Hub's parents over that night to enjoy some of it with us. They loved it and said it was super yummy! I'm not really crazy about apple desserts, but this was great! 


Y.U.M - Y.U.M - Y.U.M - Y.U.M - Y.U.M 


This is me beaming with pride for making my first apple crisp 


And this is Hub's saying to himself, "My wife is AWESOME!" :) 
{Yes, I have attained the gift of reading my husband's mind.}

Enjoy, and have yourself a yummy fall treat!


2 comments:

Christina said...

I LOVE fall too!
And I am so going to try this!
Looks delish, thanks for sharing!
xo

ashley @ little miss momma said...

oh wow, this looks so yummy! anything with apples and sugar makes me happy!